Friday, April 2, 2010

First Year in Rome (shortened)

I realized how long my last post was, and am going to try to be less wordy.

What has changed in my Christian life since becoming Roman Catholic 1 year ago?

Love - Hans Urs Von Balthasar, Mary, Pope Benedict, Scripture, and the Sacraments have all taught me this one supreme lesson: we love because he first loved us, we love because he is infinitely worth loving, we love by seeing others love Jesus (the saints), we love others by seeing Jesus in others. Love is the fulfillment of the law of Christ, love is the one necessary thing, "love is that without which no one can be saved, and with which no one can be lost" (St. Robert Bellarmine).

The Blessed Virgin Mary has shown me what loving Christ looks like, the Rosary has focuses my attention on the life of Christ rather than my own problems (or even merits). The saints inspire me and show me how to love Jesus, why I should give my whole heart and life to the service of Christ's kingdom on earth, which I believe to be the Roman Catholic Church, and in part everywhere Christ is proclaimed as Lord. In all the sacraments I encounter Christ, offering his gift of grace, offering his very self to me, a miserable sinner, but a much loved child of the Father.

It's ridiculously simple, it sounds trite and foolish, but that is what I've learned. There have been difficulties, and troubles, and continue to be. But when all else fails, I look to a crucifix, or I read the gospels, or I pray a rosary, and once again encounter the surpassing love and riches of Christ.

"Give me your love and your grace: this is enough for me." - St. Ignatius of Loyola

2 comments:

  1. I often say, Andrew, that the Faith is very simple but not always easy. May God richly bless you on your first anniversary in His Mystical Body, and may Our Lady draw you ever closer to Her Beloved Son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement

    ReplyDelete