Saturday, January 23, 2010

Star Wars and the Great Schism

A Catholic apologist I met online who aided in my conversion posted something on facebook today that made me laugh really hard: "Constantinople, You are totally the Anakin Skywalker of Church history" followed by re-worked star wars quotes into East-West church history references.

The funniest ones were: "You're asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could just wish away Canon 3 of Constantinople and Canon 28 of Chalcedon, but I can't."

"Don't lecture me, Pope Nicholas...I see through the lies of the Latins, I don't fear caeseropapism as you do."

"Me? A Patriarch? I'm overwhelmed, sir. But the Patriarchs choose their own members. They will never accept this."


St. Thomas certainly brought them down a peg with Contra Errores Graecorum, brilliant defense of Latin double-procession. Perhaps we could add these star wars references as an appendix to a reprint of Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment