Friday, November 13, 2009

Voyagers & Pilgrims

"carissimi obsecro tamquam advenas et peregrinos abstinere vos a carnalibus desideriis quae militant adversus animam" - 1 Pet 2:11 Vulgate

"Dearly beloved, I beseech you, as strangers and pilgrims, to refrain yourselves from carnal desires which war against the soul" - 1 Pet 2:11 Rheims

I love 2 parts of this verse: carissimi - beloved/dearly beloved and peregrinos - pilgrims/voyagers.



In Medieval British History I had to study the Peregrinatio, a phenomena where Irish monks would go on a penitential exile/mission in tiny boats all around the atlantic in an effort to fulfill these sorts of biblical exhortations. It was a spiritual martyrdom. It reminds me of those lovely titles we have as Christians and as a Church: pilgrims, journeyers, voyagers, sojourners, not there yet.

I'm reading a book called "Strangers and Sojourners" by Michael D O'Brian (brien? can't remember) and it has alot of these themes. It's great. While Ireland did have it's Anglican church disestablished by Gladstone, I still think of them as Recusants and so I should be posting on Irish Catholicism more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment