Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sabbath & Work

I work at a grocery store where most of us know each other quite well and are friends. Not infrequently do I get asked to work on a Sunday or a Saturday evening when I'm supposed to go to Church, with no other option to fulfill my obligation.

I then have this sort of Thomistic breakdown over the phone, because to love my neighbour (the Second Greatest commandment) and to bear their burdens (Gal. 6:2) we fulfill the "law of Christ" (Ga.6:2).

BUT

On the contrary I answer that ... To love the Lord your God is the Greatest Commandment. But is keeping the Sabbath holy intrinsically a part of that first group of commandments about loving God, or is it a secondary commandment about loving yourself. As Christ said: the sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath.

...

Anyway, I decided not to go to work, and go to mass instead, as I went to confession yesterday (took me 5 hours and 3 trips into town to find a church that actually had it where it was advertised. Welcome to the Diocese of St. Catharines), and so I want to go to receive Holy Communion.

But if anyone has a solution or thought on my predicament and thinks I should have gone to help my brethren before going to the altar (as another parable of Christ teaches), let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment