Friday, January 21, 2011

Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham

As everyone now knows, the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham has been erected with Blessed John Henry Newman as patron, by order of his Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI. It has as its ordinary, Fr. Keith Newton, who -to put it quite crudely- will now function as a bishop in all but name (pectoral cross, confirmation, mitre, crossier, votes on episcopal councils, etc).

I am excited, but the most exciting part will be when ordinariates are erected in North America (God willing) and elsewhere. I would love to join (though I don't know if I'm allowed), or at least to go to one for the sacraments just to have that English Catholic feel. I'm with Taylor Marshall in hoping that they use the Old Sarum Rite (medieval English Latin liturgy), but that's probably pushing it, as they want the BCP, which would be wonderful.

I've been reading news about this thing for 4 hours and while I find Fr. Keith a little short tempered in the Q & A sessions, he is under alot of stress and the English are that way as I remember. In any case, I will be praying for them all as I drive to Oakville today to see my old Baptist pastor and talk theology over dinner.

Our Lady of Walsingham, pray for us
Blessed John Henry Newman, pray for us

No comments:

Post a Comment