Friday, January 7, 2011

Ample Helpings of Augustinian Grace




"Driven out of paradise by you and exiled in a distant land, I cannot return by myself unless you, O Lord, come to meet me in my wandering. My return is based on hope in your mercy during all of my earthly life.

My only hope, the only source of confidence, and the only solid promise is your mercy." - St. Augustine, Doctor of Grace

I have switched my daily devotions from Bl. Cardinal Newman to St. Augustine. It is like switching from Deuteronomy to Romans. From Law to Gospel.

I think this will make it a better year. Moral obligation is not something I need to be reminded of. I have Luther, Kant, and a childhood of "Decision Theology" going around in the blender of my heart always, and I need ample helpings of grace if I am ever to leave the rocky shores of despair and presumption for the land of Christian hope. I feel like this sheep between the cliffs of Presumption/Anti-nomian Protestantism and Despair/Moralistic Catholicism.

This little rock is the Bible, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, and Pope Benedict XVI.

No comments:

Post a Comment