Sunday, November 7, 2010

Don't Read: Just another Complaint about Confession

‎'peccatum meum notum facio tibi et iniquitatem meam non abscondo dixi confitebor scelus meum Domino'-Vulg. Ps. XXXI.V

"I have acknowledged my sin to thee, and my injustice I have not concealed. I said I will confess against my self my injustice to the Lord" - Douay-Rheims

I tried to ask the priest for confession tonight after mass. Every time my Peruvian friends ask, the cleric caves. Maybe they know that the Latinos are aware of canon law, and think us Anglos aren't so knowledgeable. In any case, I was yet again told 'come Saturday' - the day I am sure to work every week.

Maybe I should drive to Hamilton (45 min away) to the priest in jail for molestation, he'd probably hear my confession, and be lenient. It seems that if you want an absolution in this diocese, you have to do it on Saturday.

Although I suppose there is some solace in knowing that if I die, on the last day, I can just tell God that it was Fr. (insert any non-Latin Mass priest in Canada's name)'s fault.

It's not as if I'm asking for a Reformation here, it's a pretty petty request that priests actually hear confessions on a different day. Here's my plan. Next time they ordain a priest give him monday, then the next guy to ordain, give him tuesday, and so on, until we have a priest for every day. Then they don't even have to listen to them more than one day! Oh what a wonderful world that would be.

As it stands, I read today that 3/4 of Catholics in America and the UK do not confess even a single time per year. While previously, I'd always side with the first estate, today I'm wondering if it has to do with their attitude towards the necessity (or lack thereof) of the sacrament, rather than the laity.

Lord have mercy...

tl;dr - Andrew complained about Confession again.

1 comment:

  1. Not cool. Not cool at all.

    St Paul teaches that we are to regard those in the Office of the Holy Ministry as "stewards of the mysteries of God." Pastors are to administer our Lord's sacraments to His people faithfully.

    Jesus sends His apostles for a specific purpose:

    Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld." Jn 20:21-23.

    ...and guess what? Pastors should want to do this! The sweet Gospel words of forgiveness fill both the penitent and pastor with joy!

    St Paul writes to Timothy: "Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy."

    When I worry that I'm being too pesky and imposing on my pastor by asking for confession/absolution, I listen to St Paul. Thanks be to God that He serves me through my pastor!

    ReplyDelete