Monday, April 12, 2010

New Reading: Dorothy Day

I picked up the autobiography "From Union Square to Rome" by Dorothy Day. I - like other evangelicals - had only known her through quotes in Shane Claiborne books. As a Catholic I know now her through quotes in homilies. I'm excited about reading this book, more than the usual excitement over reading new books (it's the fear of the unexpected reversed / Hegelian anti-thesis to the fear of the unexpected). Anyway, since she always said "don't call me a saint" I figured I would show how history treats requests like that:



I find biographies really interesting because you can learn so much about how to live from reading the accounts of others' lives.

Perhaps she'll make me a Marxist in the end. As of now, I endorse Capitalism with as much hesitancy and fear as I endorse Dentistry. A necessary evil in our day and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment