Monday, December 7, 2009

More on the Old South and Catholicism

3 things have contributed to my reading on the topic. 1) I'm a history student who finds the Civil War to be the conclusion to the American Revolution and the most exciting part of American History. 2) My mother - though a Canadian - is in love with the South, it's kind of a family joke that she should've been born a Southern Belle, she once made me sneak Spanish moss accross the border in my pockets for her to put on one of our trees (true story, it died after turning lime green for a few days). 3) I'm a Catholic obsessed with learning more about my religion.

Anyway, after my last post and seeing Gone With The Wind, I decided to research some more. I found this fascinating article: http://catholicism.org/catholicism-south.html

I thought it was fascinating as one of the topics I write and speak on in History as much as possible is the Anglo-American tradition of Anti-Catholicism. Just last week I wrote a paper on the Oxford Movement/Anglo-Catholicism though and until I read this article I didn't know how High Church the Episcopalians became in the 1840s. This heavily influenced many in the South. I also didn't know how many Catholic religious there were down there, even Jefferson Davis and his kids were educated by Catholics (and apparently he tried to convert when he was 9).

Well, all the interesting stuff is in the article, I just thought I'd share it.

This is possibly the ugliest picture ever taken of a human being. Joseph Merrick probably looks at this when he feels bad. Anyway it's me at 16 infront of Oak Alley Plantation:

2 comments:

  1. The picture is not ugly at all. Oak Alley is such a beautiful place; I'e been there a number of times--straight out of Gone With the Wind, it is. There are still some lovely plantations left. You might look up Destrehan Plantation and view the photos: the gallery and view from it are just the way it looked when I played there as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya oak alley is beautiful, my parents always go there if they're anywhere between Memphis and New Orleans, I'll look up Destrehan and ask my folks if they've ever been there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete